Thursday, April 30, 2009

Through a million techical difficulties




I'm the type of person who hates hearing excuses but once I began my front page for our class, I was the biggest flake of all.

To be perfectly honest, these were real technical difficulties and Amber, thank you so much for being patient with me.

After our class editors presented each of their lab's front pages, I was a little bit annoyed that most of us in the Wednesday lab were uninformed about the creative leeway we were supposedly given. So, I re-vamped my front page to look a little less newspaper-y.

The masthead was left simple because I didn't want to overcrowd it and after trying to convince myself that I was an artsy person, I failed miserably. Thus, I used the Trajan font because it looked very authoritative and I put the date in red because I hear that is our school color.

I really liked how Brockton's paper had their dominant element in the center of the paper. It wasn't exactly a U-format but I liked the idea of the main stories being in the center of the front page with little to no text. Due to the limited resources I had to compose this paper, the only story that I had access to, with photos was Matt's piece on Cine. So as I'd like to say that the right column story was intentional, I won't lie, it's all I had.

In the end, I think it worked out great and I also wanted to create a table of contents column on the left hand side to make the front page seem even less newspaper-y. I also wanted to copy the layout of Bozeman Daily Chronicle's because it was easy on the eyes. To modify it, I wanted to make it much more visually appealing and less gray (less text) and that's why I decided to overload it with pictures.




My favorite front page that I pulled from was the one pictured on the left. I liked the whole trashy read feel and as a reader, I don't feel overwhelmed by this page. The colors are also enticing as well.

2 comments:

  1. I think your front page is really unique because it has more of a tabloid-feel (like the New York Post) rather than such a text-oriented, traditional newspaper front page. Overall, it is really eye-catching and I think most people would be drawn to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,
    I am really proud of the extra initiative you took with your page design. It was worth a bit of extra patience. With this kind of determination and dedication, you will go far in life. Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.