Friday, April 3, 2009

The AJC's continuing obsession with Mike Vick


In recent weeks, I have begun to notice that the lead story on ajc.com is more often than not about former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Mike Vick, who is serving jail time on dog fighting charges. I would be curious to see the numbers on the view counts for these stories. Since Vick has gone to jail, I have gotten the impression from everyone I have talked to that he is no longer newsworthy. The people of Atlanta seem to want to forget about him and look forward to a new era of Falcons football led by Matt Ryan.

However, the good 'ole AJC continues to dredge up the past by publishing countless stories about Michael Vick. Even Vick's fiancee said yesterday on television that she could not figure out why the story was still news. I can understand the need for a story such as yesterday's that tells what Vick plans to do when he escapes....errr, is released from prison. However, an almost daily account of the soap opera that is the life of Mike Vick is largely unneeded. The efforts of reporters assigned to the Vick beat could be much better channeled into stories about how the economic crisis is impacting the Atlanta area. The AJC seems to cover the economic crisis only on a national level, rather than on a local level as would be more fitting.

The bottom line is that Mike Vick will never play another game in an Atlanta Falcons uniform. Heck, he may never play another game in the NFL. Consequently, he is no longer relevant enough in Atlanta to warrant an almost daily story about his struggles in the city's daily newspaper.

5 comments:

  1. In general, I agree that very few Michael Vick stories are newsworthy, but I would also mention that many locals are curious to see what becomes of him. Will he serve all of his jail time or buy his way out? Will he stay out of trouble afterward? These questions along with many others are important to Falcons fans, animal lovers and Atlanta residents, especially if they contributed money to Vick's handsome paycheck.

    I agree that the media tends to cover Vick too much, but the prospect of him entering the construction business is intriguing. On one hand, people may argue he has changed and is trying to better himself, but on the other, some may view a job in construction management as another lucrative business in which employers often profit from cheap labor. Perhaps people think he will exploit people rather than dogs, to profit. Additionally, the article makes it sound like his settlement with creditors is more generous than that of a normal person. Maybe the AJC thinks it's newsworthy because he is receiving "special treatment."

    Some athletes fail to learn their lesson, and maybe the media wants to expose Vick if does anything illegal again. Was the article online and in print? If it was only online, then I would be more understanding of the coverage, as space is unlimited.

    You're right, the economy and localizing stories should come first. Editors should ask the same questions you asked while approaching every story with a critical eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your very well-written blog raises an excellent question: what should be considered newsworthy? You make a very strong argument that the AJC's limited resources should be harnessed to highlight the local economy. In many respects, I wholeheartedly agree with this point; however, I would like for you to consider Marianne's point--Vick is still newsworthy for many Atlantans. Unfortunately, newspapers sometimes fail to provide us with the news we need, giving us to much of the news we want (i.e. the news that sells or is popular).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amber and Marianne, although Vick feels like old news to most of us, his name still sells, and apparently some people are interested in seeing his outcome. I too think that the story is oversensationalized, but unfortunately this is what we get when people are too lazy to dig for the good stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bottom line: Vick is still a public figure, probably always will be, but the story is dead. It is not time-relevant and not newsworthy. I've read articles about how he spent his money before his incarceration, new cars, jewelery etc. WHO CARE?! But keep in mind that it is just the AJC covering this story, since Vick WAS an Atlanta Falcon - that is the only reason he is being considered for media coverage. I'd like to see more reporting on what's being done with his estate and the rescued dogs. Also, he isn't the only pro football player involved with illegal activities like dog fighting, has anyone done anything to seek further prosecutions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely agree that his struggles aren't newsworthy anymore. I could care less what he's doing, and I would hope that no team would ever take him on. However, I am a strong opponent of dog-fighting and huge advocate of debunking the awful rep that pit bulls have; Vick's case made this a headlining issue, so I think the story is in the dogs, and maybe in his attitude towards dog-fighting. Has he changed, or does he even care? The dogs that were save-able have all been rehabed and fostered out, or have been sent to permanent rehab centers. Those particular dogs have completed their stories, but this is still an on-going issue around the country, and particularly in Georgia, which, I'm disgusted to says, has the highest rate of dog-fighting incidents in the U.S. I think he's done his work, the AJC needs to move on.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.