Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Grady Requirement Finale!


The past few weeks of lab I have been given the opportunity to in more detail use InDesign. If you had asked me 15 weeks ago if I would be able to create my own personal front-page of a newspaper, I would have laughed in your face. However because of the instruction of Amber and help from my fellow classmates I was able to complete this assignment, but more importantly I feel really good about my effort. 
To start off this front-page process, I picked up more copies of The Red&Black, than I normally do, analyzing their front-pages I was able to get an idea of how I wanted mine to look. However, once in the lab I found it more difficult to create the image that I had in my head. So with much trial and error, and with a dash of frustration, I was able to finish this project. 
I toyed with the idea of adding a section for teasers which would include a sneak peak of the fabulous horoscopes that I hoped to include in our classes publication (which may or may not happen due to time). The teaser section would also include a brief look at the days weather. For this idea I went immediately to google and typed in suns, in the search box. Unfortunately, for the suns, the rain clouds were much cooler. However, this whole idea as brilliant as it was, was also abandoned. 
It was abandoned because when actually designing my front page I felt that the stories and pictures that I chose needed more space than I had originally allowed.  After toying with my page for two labs, I gained much more respect for people who do this on a daily basis. Moreover, these people do not have as much personal freedom with their pages as I had with mine. They have to deal with placing the most important information, advertisements, deadlines, and everyone else in the publication who feels that their pieces should be on the front-page. 
Thus, as much as you plan out the front-page it is important to have wiggle room. The page needs to be able to morph as the day goes on and stories come in. Headlines need to be able to be lengthened or shortened, and writers need to have thick skin, because their stories may be cut altogether. 
The process is not all rainbows and smiles, it is hard. And through my front-page I was able to realize what it really takes. 

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you aubrey! The process is not as easy as it seems. When I read the paper now I ALWAYS take notice and appreciate the layout and design.
    Every minor detail was placed by someone for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about your issue with space. I thought one of the hardest parts to designing these pages was getting everything to fit just right. It does make you respect all of the little aspects of the professional front pages a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very proud of the hard work that you put into both of your pages. I know that it wasn't "all rainbows and smiles" but through your diligence you really got the hang of InDesign.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.