I understand that as long as men want to look at pretty girls, girls will always be interested in fashion. As much as I love pretty clothes, I think enough is enough. I wanted to be a journalist in women's magazines not because I wanted to continue this trend of telling girls how they should behave to snab the guy, or how to wear their hair on the big night, I think as journalists we do possess the power to bring about social changes and this recent coverage of Michelle's outfits on her trip to London, doesn't make me optimistic about change.
Without being bombarded with information about the election, the inauguration, the first 100 days in office...etc, I think we've had enough coverage on Michelle Obama's fashion and style tips.
The media doesn't seem to care enough about Michelle as a person because the only coverage that people want to hear about is "what is she going to wear today?" It is getting very redundant.
However, the positive thing about our move towards visual media, is that in reporting news such as this, it is very useful. Nobody wants to read descriptions about what Michelle is wearing, we'd like to be shown with pictures so that we can track down the products or mimic them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think this raises an interesting question about what determines what news media cover and how. Is it that the media doesn't care about who Michelle Obama is, or is it that they think the public doesn't care? And if it's the latter, doesn't the media's constant coverage of her fashion choices sort of self-perpetuate that cycle (meaning, the media covers her fashion because that's what the public's interested in w/r/t Michelle Obama, but the public is only interested because that's all the media's covering)?
ReplyDeleteI think Matt raises a good point. Does the media have a social responsibility to only cover news that matters? Could this fashion coverage be seen as empowering?
ReplyDelete