Friday, April 3, 2009

Celebrating the Ladies


Ever heard of Skirt! Magazine? Don’t feel bad if you have not. I personally hadn’t before two of their employees came to speak at magazine club last week. It isn’t published everywhere, and the cover art is, well, art, unlike the photographs of celebrities we are all used to seeing.
In fact, at first glance I did not realize that Skirt! Magazine was indeed a magazine. The unusually large size of it (12 by 18 inches), considerable amount of white space on the cover and matte print give it more of a coupon book look rather than that of a traditional magazine.

Is its appearance the product of a conscious effort to make the magazine stand out by being different, or was this simply a way of saving money? I do not know, and I’m not sure that it works artistically, but what I do know is that the magazine’s uniqueness allows it to reach a broad audience. It doesn’t confine itself to the typical gossip that sells. I mean, really, how many different ways can Martha Stewart decorate an Easter egg, and how many new sex positions can Cosmopolitan think up? Actually, don’t answer that.

Skirt!’s popularity comes from its ability to appeal to both a grandmother and a teenager at the same time and in a fresh way. The ads and articles do not focus on a specific age group, and the content of the magazine, although always about women, is so diverse, that it would be hard for a woman to pick up the magazine and not be able to make at least one personal connection to it.

Also, the way that Skirt! designs its own ads for companies instead of using the same world-wide ad makes the reader feel special, as if the magazine has been tailored to specifically appeal to her.

Ladies, if you’ve been looking to connect with other wonderful females, than this magazine is for you. Don’t be afraid to put on that skirt, and enjoy the power of femininity.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about the magazine's appeal to grandmothers as well as teenagers, but I wonder how the advertisements can be effective if there is such a variety in the magazine's audience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a lot more about empowering women and steering away from consumerism. I really don't think it would appeal to a grandmother or a teenager but I guess it would have to be a certain type of grandmother/teenager. The demographic of the magazine is broad yet very specific--a woman that reads this is someone who enjoys art--whether that is in crafts, poetry, or maybe even fashion (but this is also a woman who understands what does and does not empower women). It's a great magazine!

    Anyways, I do like how you pointed out the uniqueness of the design and the fact that other women's magazines become redundant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How would you define Skirt! magazine? Is it a niche or general audience publication? As an editor how would you gear content to such a diverse audience?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Skirt! Magazine is actually owned by Morris Communications, which also owns our dear Banner-Herald. Skirt!, like many niche magazines appearing lately, is an attempt by newspaper companies to stay afloat while their newspapers are floundering. From what I've heard, Skirt! has achieved exactly that for Morris. I like magazines, and they're obviously effective. But should newspaper companies maybe focus more on improving the quality of their papers instead of running off to an easier money-maker? Don't we, as journalists, have a certain obligation to TRY to keep hard news alive?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Beth. I've always thought of magazines as sort of a luxury item. Not everyone can afford to drop five dollars every time they go through the checkout line at the grocery store. Thus people buy magazines because of their specific articles and genres. Although I am unfamiliar with Skirt!, I would have to also question (like Claire) how they are selling advertising space with a magazine that caters to 14 year olds and 74 year olds? Is there wrinkle cream next to sit cream? Seems like a conflict of interest.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.