As I was browsing through articles in the New York Times, I stumbled upon this one about The Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club celebrating its century birthday. Just the title of the article captured my curiosity, because it's not often you see the word "Zulu" in the New York Times.
Although I'm not sure that the lead really does the later description of the event justice, it DID draw me in; I was trying to figure out what on earth this society could possibly be doing to raise eyes on the most extravagant and rowdy holiday in New Orleans.
The Zulus are an African-American social club that was formed to allow black citizens to celebrate Mardi Gras in their own way. As well as being a social organization, they also have a mission to provide aid when needed.
I love the descriptive language the writer, Wayne Curtis, uses to explain the appearance of the Zulu's parade, which he says looks "like something from an old social studies filmstrip about stereotypes and how to avoid them, the kind of thing that crops up today mostly in news accounts involving students being expelled from school."
Curtis does a great job with his organization and flow of facts; he starts with the 'shock factor' to draw the reader in, then explains the parade, and then, just as I was getting frustrated because I didn't know who this group was or what they did, he writes a brief history, including one of their accomplished aid goals.
He also writes about the effect that Hurricane Katrina had on the organization and its members, which hadn't even crossed my mind.
Overall, I was impressed with this article. I felt that Curtis was well-informed and well-organized and wrote the article with honesty (about the organization, the parade and the appearance of it) and with respect (towards New Orleans citizens and the organization.) Yet, he also writes with a catchy flare that enhanced my reading experience. I finished the article without any questions left unanswered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good analysis of the piece. What was your favorite aspect: the overall tone or the organization?
ReplyDeleteI think it's the tone. It's an informative article, but one that's fun to read.
ReplyDelete